Friday, June 19, 2009

つまり

So that's the end of my pictures to post. My next little project will involve arranging photos on the Google map overly that Siena made, marking every time I told her where I was. However, that will have to wait until I ship my computer to Palo Alto and find the time while starting my new job (at Facebook!).
Oh, and you can check out a short series of ads about smoking and subway etiquette that I put up here.
---
I think there are a lot of wonderful aspects of Japanese culture (like hot baths and not having to tip), but there are also plenty of aggravating things (like xenophobia and a lack of good bread). I thought I might have some reverse culture shock, but instead I just find myself appreciating all the English everywhere. I also really enjoy how everything around me in the US is organized and decorated in a symbolism that I can easily understand. And it's great to be able to get food that I love, and to understand all the nuances of a conversation with a random person.

I feel pretty great about the area I covered and the things I've seen, and I'm also glad that I still want to visit Japan and study Japanese. But I'm ready to go back to a steady consumption of Japanese popular culture and contemplation of their history and social issues.

I also want to thank everyone who helped me along the way. There are a lot of you, and no one wants to read a long list of every memory I have of being helped. But thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment