Friday, May 22, 2009

Obama, and Amanohashidate


So after I camped on the shore of Lake Biwa, I biked along the coast for a while, and then headed across to the small resort town of Obama.
They are excited to suddenly have the same name as the American President. I stopped in the Tourist Information desk at the train station and they asked me to fill out a survey, and then gave me free chopsticks (every town in Japan has a local product).
This was on her desk.
These were actually in a rest stop before I got into the city. I think the pictured guy there is actually someone else who vaguely resembles Obama. The words are confusing - right now I'm not sure if it's saying to cheer on the town of Obama, or that the town is cheering on the president. I mean it makes more sense if the town is cheering for the president, but anyways.

After that I biked along the coast, with some nice bike paths that got seriously close to the coast (there's some sort of long distance nature trail that was going my way). I learned from my map that there are two nuclear power plants on peninsulas around there. Creepy.

That night I ran into two Australians who had found the same abandoned campground. Their names are Peter and Ruth, and they were very nice. I invited them along to the Italian restaurant my map recommended, with a counter that overlooks the sea, and they were delighted to have someone who could read the menu. I want to be them someday, taking vacations to bike through India and Southeast Asia and Japan. They were so easygoing, happily meandering along the coast. Sadly I didn't take their pictures, but they are awesome folks.

Next day we set off to Amanohashidate, another one of the three most beautiful views in Japan. Parted ways with the Aussies in Maizuru, though they caught up with me by the time I got to the Youth Hostel.
Which was mostly because Siena and I walked across the land bridge instead of cycling. Apparently inside of the land bridge wasn't that picturesque, but the view the next day from the mountaintop was pretty great.


You're supposed to look at it between your legs, because upside-down it looks like a bridge to heaven. (That's what the name means, by the way, bridge to heaven.)
I'll leave it to you to decide. I think it's awesome.
Also we are happy, even if our heads are in the way.

Then we took the bus back, and here I am back in Osaka. I've got a few more days here before I head off on my bike again. I'm definitely glad I did these side trips.

Sometimes I miss having a home, not having the stress of finding a place to sleep for the night. But there is something nice about being out in the countryside, a rhythm to pedaling and finding food and setting up the tent.

1 comment:

  1. The manjuu are a pun on 小浜市 and オバマ氏. Literally, it's cheering on the town, but by homonym, it's cheering on the president.

    ReplyDelete