Monday, May 11, 2009

More Osaka, and some Kyoto

So what else did we do in Osaka? We went to the castle park one day, and had a picnic.

We also went to the ultra-modern waterfront, and rode the ferris wheel.
It was too rainy and crowded to actually go to the aquarium, but we did wander around the Universal Studios shopping center. Hopefully we'll get to go back soon.

By the way, these pictures are all on Siena's facebook page. I think you need to be her friend to see all of them, so I'll still upload a bunch, but there are more (really cute ones) over there.

Now I'm in Kyoto, where I've already gone to a ton of cultural things.

Like Arashiyama (super popular bridge and garden),

Ryoanji (zen rock garden),

Kiyomizudera (drank from the holy spring, forgot to do the womb tunnel),

and the National Museum exhibit on Zen treasures.
I like how this museum, built in the late 1800s, looks very European.
Except they used Eastern gods of art and culture for their relief.
By the way, my favorite artist was Hakuin, from the Edo period. This is a portrait of Bodhidharmu, known as Daruma in Japan. This portrait is huge, and I saw it in real life.

Oh, and Kyoto Station, which is not ancient at all but still really awesome.

--
I feel weird sending postcards from places I haven't actually seen, but I feel weirder sending multiple copies of the same postcard. I understand that this is silly.

Yesterday, I was eating a ビビンバーガー bibimburger (bibimba is a Korean dish, and this bakery decided to put it in a bun) by the side of the river in Shijo (between the Geisha district and the shopping district), and a HAWK FLEW DOWN AND SNATCHED MY LAST BITE. I think that is my craziest experience in Japan so far.

Also yesterday I located an outdoor supply store (in that shopping district), right underneath an anime store I'd been to twice. Anyways, now I have a new bag for my tent, and padded biking gloves. Hurray!

2 comments:

  1. Actually I decided to rethink my photo policy after Jean said that after friending me she could all of a sudden see a million pictures of you. The public link is http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2044933&id=4304687&l=d576d44324

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I thought your story about the hawk was interesting, and I've seen them steal food before, those thieving little ********.

    Here's a brief article from Kansai scene http://www.kansaiscene.com/2008_06/html/feature.shtml
    "Hawks figure fairly big in local mythology: dreaming of a hawk on New Year's Night signals fortune for the rest of the year; every schoolchild knows that a hawk overhead can snatch food from the hand in as much time as it takes to swoop out of the sky. "

    Also http://nncj-kyoto.seesaa.net/category/4259138-1.html
    Sheng Weng and the Hawk attack
    "We sat down on a nice bench by Kamogawa.
    And then, WHOOOOSH!! Attack from the back!! a hawk flew down, pushing a great force on the just -eaten bun in his hand. It was hurled to the ground, the meat scattering everywhere. Then another hawk, and another. WHOOOSH, WHOOSH! from the sky."

    Oh I really miss the place. Hope you enjoy many more discoveries!

    ReplyDelete