Monday, March 9, 2009

First!

So this is my new official public blog, chronicling my three month adventure in Japan. I'm leaving in a week, and I'll likely write about my preparations. At this point I don't know how often I'll have access to the Internet while I'm in Japan, but hopefully I'll at least be able to get a cell phone and post via email there. Or I'll copy things from my notebook whenever I get the chance.

Anyways, I'm currently in the process of gathering all my materials. I've got a sweet custom-made folding bike from Bike Friday (the Pocket Crusoe), and super light tent and sleeping bag from REI, not to mention really nice, nearly new panniers that were pretty cheap on ebay. I also want to give a shout-out to Kanji Sono Mama, a program for Nintendo DS that will serve as my language dictionary. It's great 'cause you can use the touch pad to enter kanji you don't know, removing the biggest language barrier.

Just a quick preview: I'll be spending my first week in Tokyo with Siena, who will be on spring break. Then I'll work on an organic farm in Shikoku for about 2 weeks. Then I'll start the cycling in earnest, beginning in Kyushu and working my way North. I'm generally following this route but with lots of detours.

For the past few months I've been soliciting recommendations for places and people to visit - let me know if you're in Japan and anywhere near where I'll be. In the meantime I'll be freaking out and riding around with dictionaries in my panniers.

1 comment: